Here are a few stories to read this Monday morning.
- I think the biggest takeaway from this piece on BookTok is that authors should double down on marketing their books based on the tropes in said books. (This is apparently what made BookTok so influential as a marketing tool.)
- Katie Carr explains why you shouldn’t use the disabled villain trope.
- The least interesting part about this piece on the guy who conned people in publishing into sending him manuscripts by famous authors is that his actions were described as “theft”. The most interesting part is that we still don’t know why he did it.
- The hot story in publishing is the author who faked her own suicide, and then came back from the dead 2 years later.
- The floodgates are open: Apple joins Google in pushing computer-narrated audiobooks. (More) I know authors who got yelled at for going this route 5 or 6 months ago, and now its mainstream.